Ali has been "bugging" me about seeing more photos of her new digs :), so I'll post what I've been doing the last few days. Some days I walk out of that room after a 12 hour day and feel like I haven't gotten anything accomplished. I know that's not true, but I feel like I've gotten myself in way over my head. One of my biggest obstacles is exactly what I feared it would be, THE SHEETROCK! This stuff is going to be the bane of my existance. I was proud of myself because the areas that needed to be filled where the old wall was came out pretty good. It's the texturing that is just driving me NUTS!!! Everything I've read on the internet says that you'll never get texturing to match; it's impossible. Although not even the pros can get it to match, that still doesn't make me feel any better. Sometimes perfectionist is a good word for me, while most of the time I think it's just a case of OCD :) Alas, I guess it's just something I need to live with.
The other thing I did that I had never done before (and had been worried about) was to put in a door. What a challenge that was!!! However, with feeling less than satisfied with the texturing, I am THRILLED with the way the door looks. I know, it's just a door, but I never realized how hard it was to put one in. I thought, "great no prob; stick it in the door way and nail it up". Wow was that naive!! I was going to wait for our friend Gene to come help me out, but my stubborn streak appeared yesterday morning and I was determined to do it by myself. I would not have even been able to put it in, however, if Gene hadn't come over and reframed the doorway for us in the first place. Actually, I think, if Gene hadn't told us he would be able to tackle that part of the project, this remodel probably would not be happening. Even with all his experience, he said it was quite a challenge because of the way the original door frames were angled. We went from two doors that were angled at about 30 degrees to one straight door frame.
In the last few days we've reframed the doorway, put in the ceiling fans and some can lights, installed the chair rale and finished up the painting. Today I'm just finishing up painting the baseboards and making sure they're ready to go after the floor is installed. I'm hoping to get to the flooring later this afternoon and all day tomorrow. Hopefully this part of the project will be history by the weekend, so I can begin on Cass' room. Well back to my paint brush and miter saw!