Sunday, April 05, 2009

An engagement and a new cousin


When I arrived home from Tabitha and Ken's wedding yesterday, Katrina and Chris were waiting for me. Chris' mom and I are second cousins and I cannot believe that Chris is old enough to get married! Chris first came into our lives when he was three years old and his mom came back home from the Navy. I have had the pleasure of watching him grow up into an incredible guy. Without a doubt, Katrina is just as spectucular and we're so happy to add a new cousin into the family! One of the things we love about Katrina is that we all feel like she's already a part of the family...we feel like we've known her for years.

Actually, I have a funny story about Katrina and our "connection". I had met her briefly when Chris started dating her, but then didn't see her until after the engagement. When we met up at the ACS fundraiser last year we were chatting about things that you do when you're getting to know someone. Somehow the fact that we live in Lincoln came up and she mentioned she has family who live here as well. Within about 60 seconds we realized that her cousin went to school with Katie at the high school! On an even stranger note, her cousin knows Katie in even more depth because they both have diabetes and have attended diabetes camp together! What an incredibly small world!

Katrina and Chris asked me to photograph their wedding a few months ago and we've been trying to schedule their engagement session ever since. Between the fact that we live 2 1/2hours away from each other, and had bad weather when I have been in the bay area, it's been a little difficult to take their photos. Since Katrina wanted to take her photos in Old Sac, we decided to plan a weekend of fun! Once I got home and we spent a little time catching up,then Louie, Chris, Katrina and I packed up Harper and we all headed out to Old Sac.

It is so awsome to see my cousin SO happy! Although Chris and I are technically third cousins, his mom and I had a unique relationship, so we were closer than the typical, often distant second-cousin, relationship would dictate. Because Chris' mom and I are a year apart we often got "thrown together" when we were kids :) As our own kids came along, and the fact that our husbands get along famously, both families spent a lot of time together. However, as often happens when lives change though, we haven't been able to see each other for a while. So, part of what made this weekend so great was the time we actually all had that allowed us to spend so much time together. Ali, Katie and Nick, met the four of us at Lucille's last night for dinner. At that point I was no longer my cousin's photographer, but just his cousin :) There was over an hour wait, but I really enjoyed all of us being able to get to know Katrina better and to reminisce with Chris about good times when the kids were younger (especially about all their thoughts on zucchini! HA!). A couple cocktails later and we all enjoyed a fantastic dinner and laughed until I think some people at neighboring tables may have wanted to throw us out :)

Needless to say, I am incredibly excited for Katrina and Chris' wedding later this year. Katrina, I can't tell you how excited we are to have another cousin in the Smith family! You fit right in with this crazy bunch and I know everyone loves you already. I love your ring, and what a treasure that your diamond belonged to Chris' grandmother. Chris, I am so proud of you! I've told you what an incredible young man you are and what a fantastic job your mom and Marty did raising you. I hope my girls end up with a guy as great as you! Katrina is one very lucky young lady. You have no idea what it means to me that you wanted to include the Browns in your special day-it means the world to me!!! I love you both!!!!
ENJOY THEIR SLIDESHOW, and be sure to leave a comment for them!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Well, it's nothing new. Great pics like always, as well as a great song! When I saw the last pic one the post I cracked up, because that is so my cousin!! :) Anyway, I can't wait for the wedding! When is it again?

Search This Blog

Labels