Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Keep on believing


After I left Rachael and Brandon's wedding on Sunday, it was off to Kathy and Dave's wedding at Lake Natoma Inn. One would have thought that after I'd spent seven or eight hours at a wedding earlier in the day I would have been exhausted, but the excitement I had about both these weddings took care of any fatigue that may have hit my body.
I DO NOT photograph two weddings in a day. However, this was an unusual circumstance, so it was something that I was able to do-with a lot of begging and pleading from Kathy! ;)
Kathy is a bride who has waited for her husband her entire life. This is Kathy's first marriage (and I know her only one!), and she was as excited as any bride I've ever seen. Dave was divorced with two kids when he and Kathy met each other two years ago. As you may remember from their engagement photo post, Kathy and Dave met each other on match.com. When I arrived to the hotel Sunday afternoon, she and her sister were in their suite getting ready.

Kathy was full of calm excitement-does that make sense? Emotions were definitely at the forefront of her big day. Kathy's parents and brother have passed away, and this was something that she couldn't help but think about. Kathy and I have gotten to be friends and have had lots of conversations about her wedding and how much her parents and brother would have liked Dave. Dave, on the other hand doesn't talk much, and his body language says a lot.
There were two things that really stood out to me Sunday evening. As I was watching the thirty minute ceremony, it struck me that it was a good 10-15 minutes before Kathy and Dave took their eyes off one another. Most times, when an officiant is speaking, the bride and groom immediately turn to listen. Not this couple! Someone also pointed out that some ducks flew over the ceremony, and even with Dave being an outdoorsman, he didn't look up once to see the wildlife.
The other thing was what I picked up on while watching Kathy throughout the day. I see a lot of brides and I hadn't ever seen what I saw from this bride. I actually can't really describe it, but I think humility is the best way to put it. I'm almost the same age as Kathy, and in some ways I can relate. I think when one gets older we tend to look at things differently than we do when we're younger. It's not that we appreciate them less or more, just in a different way.
Okay, enough of my arm-chair philosophy :)
Sunday was an incredible day because of the two couples I got to work with.
Take a few minutes to look at Kathy and Dave's slideshow and leave a message for this extraordinary couple.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you looked absolutely beautiful on your special day!!! Congrats!

Katie (Debbie's daughter)

Rev. Jeri Murphy said...

I LOVED this couple!

And I LOVE your photos!!! You are amazing Debbie ... I would love to get one or two for my own memories.

Let's do it again soon ... without the band-aids, of course. ;)

Hugs and blessings,
Rev. Jeri

Search This Blog

Labels