Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Thankfulness

As you can tell from my previous two posts, last weekend was one that was packed (I'll be getting the wedding slideshow up later today)! When my head finally hit the pillow on Sunday night, I had an overwhelming sense of thankfulness. Thankfulness for having a career that allows me to meet so many wonderful people; thankfulness for being able to be a part of paying it foward; thankfulness for learning things to remind me not take my blessings for granted; thankfulness for life!

Jon and Kristin are relatively new to the cancer fight. Jon was diagnosed with brain cancer a short time ago and after reading his journal on Caring Bridge, I have NO DOUBT this couple will be triumphant and not only win the current battle, but be victorious in the war!

This doesn't happen very often, but I cried as I was taking their portraits (thank goodness it wasn't the "ugly cry", but the tears came, nonetheless). The time that really got to me were the ones where mom and dad are standing in the field. When they gave each other a kiss and their daughter laid her head on her dad's head, I KNEW I caught a moment in time that will be cherished for generations. Actually, as I'm sitting here writing this, I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it. It's been a pretty emotional week, so I've been kind of sappy lately ;)

It's working with families like this that make me speechless (and for those who know me, you know that's a difficult thing to do). Awe, inspired, wonder, blessed-those are just a few of the adjectives that come to my mind when I think about the families I've been working with lately. When I donate portrait sessions to families who are battling cancer, they are amazed that I do this and don't look for anything out of it. I should probably admit to you, that there is a selfish reason that I do it. I love the feeling that I walk away with after spending an hour or so with people who are this brave and strong.

Thank you Jon and Kristin for allowing me into a little piece of your lives for a brief time. You made me smile all day! To see more of their photos, please visit my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Debbie-Brown-Photography/132190279226  Off to a 10:00 session to photograph Sherry, another survivor!!!! I hope it doesn't rain on us.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Labels